Sunday, January 10, 2016

IN WHICH The Girl Becomes a Classic

Two of my reading goals for 2016 are to read more of the books I already own (I have a tendency to buy in bulk from used book stores) and to read more classics. To this end, I found the perfect 2016 reading challenge: The Women's Classic Literature Event hosted by The Classics Club.


Essentially the point is to read classic literature by women throughout the year and share your thoughts with other participants in the event. I perused my bookshelves and came up with these six books to get me started.


1. O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
2. Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte
3. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
4. Sula by Toni Morrison
5. Persuasion by Jane Austen - Bonus: this one is on the book club list for this year too.
6. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

I think I'm going to start with Agnes Grey because I had actually pulled that one out to read soon anyways. Should I get through these books, I can always supplement my list with library books as well.

I'm looking forward to the event and a good reading year!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't elaborated a proper list because I know I wouldn't follow it, but I was also thinking about reading O Pioneers! too. Let me know when you plan to start it - maybe we could buddy read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list! I read the Green Gables series last year in a Read-Along! I'm almost 60 and had never read them! It was so much fun! Have you read Anne before? (http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/2016/03/pickwick-papers-read-along-check-in-1.html) I just read Ana of California which is supposed to be a modern-day retelling of AoGG. I found it to be a good read! (http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/2016/03/ana-is-not-anne-great-read-all-same.html) I have yet to read a Wharton. I really should--soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this was my first time reading Anne of Green Gables and it was great! When I get a chance, I'll write some more about my thoughts on Anne. Ana of California sounds really interesting! I'll have to check it out.

      Delete