Wednesday, June 17, 2015

IN WHICH The Girl Beach Reads


Sadly, I'm not actually going to a beach, unless you count the lake shore beach here in Chicago. But whenever I think of summer reading, I think of beach books. Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in which they provide a weekly top ten list topic. This is my first go at the list. This week's topic is Top Ten Books on My Summer TBR List.

I'm always making a plan for what to read, but I get off track very quickly. Maybe making my list public will actually push me to read the books I intended to this summer. Since I know I will probably read 20 young adult fantasy novels, I'm mainly focusing on my other reading goals on this list. Here are ten books I hope to get through before September. 



1. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

I have been meaning to read this for a while now as it has excellent reviews. This will be my first novel by Adichie, though I am a big fan of her TED Talk "We Should All Be Feminists." Plus, I finally got it from the library, so I can start reading this one shortly.


2. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Beyond being at the top of the bestseller list right now, this just seems like the perfect summer mystery. I haven't read a good mystery in awhile, so I'm looking forward to deciphering clues.


3. A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick
Since I plan to use this for a class in the fall, I need to actually read the book. You would think we teachers planned a little more ahead than that, but no. We are going to compare the book to its movie version, Blade Runner. As I've been so interested in science fiction lately, it will be good to read one of the genre's classics.


5. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

Magic! Parallel universes! London! Need I say more? 


6. The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

I don't actually know much about this one other than the incredibly positive reviews it keeps getting from people whose book interests are similar to mine. I also like the black and white of the cover. Yeah yeah they say never judge a book by its cover, but you know we all do.


7. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

Adding one non-fiction for diversity. I rarely read non-fiction, and I need to start making up for the deprivation. Plus, once I read this particular book, I can watch the movie.


8. On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

Often called the Harry Potter for adults, I'd like to see what this series is about. Also, Syfy plans to produce a television series based on the books next year.


10. Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Let's add one classic. I loved the trailer for the recent movie version but am trying to hold off on seeing the movie until I read the book. Never hurts to knock one off the bucket list of classics as well.

Extra Extra 



This book doesn't technically get released until September 1st, so I'm not sure I count that as a summer read. However, I'm dying to read this continuation of the Throne of Glass series. I would trade all the other books to get this one sooner.

I need to get reading folks! Happy summer!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's just because I grew up on Lake Erie, but I still resent it when people say that lake beaches aren't real beaches. Is there sand? Is there a large body of water? can you get a tan with a whole bunch of other people also wearing bathing suits? Is there a lifeguard? Then it's a damn beach. That is all. Oh, let me know how far from the madding crowd is. THAT is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vent it all out! Haha, I generally consider lake beaches beaches. In my head I was referring more to vacationing away from Chicago to a tropical locale. While going to the beach here is nice, it doesn't really feel like a vacation.

      Delete
  2. Thanks! I'm even more excited to read On Writing now. The movie of Far from the Madding Crowd looks awesome. I'm going to try to hold out, but it's entirely possible I'll give in and see the movie first.

    ReplyDelete